Lang Lawyers
Free Consultation 800-653-6513
contact Menu

What are some crash statistics about cyclists and pedestrians?

Cycling in Ontario, as well as being a pedestrian, can be dangerous. While everything that can be done is done to prevent accidents, some drivers still aren't as careful of others as they should be. Distractions, intoxication and other issues lead to crashes, injuries and fatalities that the injured can then speak with a lawyer about to receive compensation. To understand the risk you face when you go on the roads, these statistics may help.

How many people are hurt in pedestrian/cycling accidents?

According to Toronto Public Health, between 2008 and 2012, there were over 10,000 pedestrians hurt or killed in motor vehicle accidents. On top of that, another 5,000 cyclists were either killed or injured in crashes.

Where do the majority of accidents take place?

Most of the time, accidents take place on the roadways. Around 99 percent of the time, cyclists are hit on the roads, while the other 1 percent of the time, they're in off-road areas, private properties or public lanes.

As for pedestrians, around 87 percent are hit and hurt or killed on the roadways. The remaining 13 percent were struck in areas the same as the 1 percent of cyclists.

Most accidents take place where the population is dense; the city's urban core is most likely to have the most collisions, while suburban or rural areas have fewer.

As a result of motor vehicle collisions, 3,171 cyclists and pedestrians were either injured or killed in Toronto specifically between 2008 and 2012. It's more likely for fatalities to impact pedestrians rather than cyclists, too.

Source: Toronto Public Health, "Pedestrian and Cycling Safety in Toronto," accessed Feb. 19, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
contact us

Call Us For A No-Cost, Confidential Consultation

During a complimentary consultation, our lawyers can review your case, answer your questions and discuss your options. There's no obligation, and we work only on contingency — so you don't pay unless we recover compensation for you. Call 800-653-6513 or use our online form to request an appointment.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

The Law Society of Upper Canada

Lang Lawyers
3500 Dufferin Street Suite 400
Toronto, ON M3K 1N2

Toll Free: 800-653-6513
Fax: 416-398-1462
Toronto Law Office Map

OTLA Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
Back to top