Lang Lawyers
Free Consultation 800-653-6513
contact Menu

What happens if I want to appeal a claim denial?

If you're attempting to get your Canada Pension Plan benefits approved and haven't had any luck, you can request to have the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada, or ESDC, review your case a second time. Rejections are not uncommon; missing information, confusing statements or other issues can make it harder to get approved.

Anytime you're not satisfied with the results of a claim you make, you should decide on whether or not you want to appeal that decision. When you appeal, you'll reach out to the Social Security Tribunal in writing; you should say why you are not satisfied with the results of your claim.

How long do you have to file an appeal?

It's important to file your appeal within 90 days; if you don't, then you may lose the option to appeal altogether, making it impossible to reverse the agency's decision.

How do you appeal a rejection?

To appeal a rejected claim, fill out a Notice of Appeal to the SST General Division. It can be submitted through the mail or may be faxed. If you can't get the document online, it can be accessed by contacting the SST directly and requesting the form in the mail. At this point, you and your lawyer should discuss all the pertinent information that needs to be in your appeal. If there is information missing, the SST won't take your appeal into consideration at all. If you missed your 90-day window, you may be able to ask for an extension, but this needs to be done as soon as possible.

Source: Government of Canada, "How to appeal a Canada Pension Plan decision to the General Division," accessed April 27, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
contact us

Call Us For A No-Cost, Confidential Consultation

During a complimentary consultation, our lawyers can review your case, answer your questions and discuss your options. There's no obligation, and we work only on contingency — so you don't pay unless we recover compensation for you. Call 800-653-6513 or use our online form to request an appointment.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Society of Upper Canada

Lang Lawyers
3500 Dufferin Street Suite 400
Toronto, ON M3K 1N2

Toll Free: 800-653-6513
Fax: 416-398-1462
Toronto Law Office Map

OTLA Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
Back to top