Lang Lawyers
Free Consultation 800-653-6513
contact Menu

Distracted walking: Not as big of a problem as some expect

Many people believe that it's not only distracted driving that causes accidents, but also distracted walking. How true is that, really? As humans, people have evolved to be able to do multiple things while we walk. That means texting, talking on a phone or even playing a game.

Does doing this while walking mean you're going to be involved in an accident? It's unlikely. Consider the fact that if you walk through a crowd, you somehow manage to avoid so much as touching someone else, even if you're on the phone or playing a game. That's because people are designed to do multiple things while avoiding injury or impact at slow speeds, like walking.

The same isn't true when driving or cycling, though. When you're riding a bike or driving, there are only so many things you can see, and you have to see them much faster.

To better prove the point that distracted walking isn't the issue, consider this: The number of pedestrian collisions in which the pedestrian was identified as being inattentive have fallen since 2005; in fact, one report from the city showed that in 13 per cent of the cases, pedestrians were inattentive, but not in the other 87 per cent.

Another interesting fact is that people who walk while distracted tend to slow down and account for their distractions; that helps them minimize the risk of injury. Truthfully, pedestrian distractions are much less likely that a driver being distracted and causing an accident, which is something your lawyer can use in court, thanks to these studies.

Source: Global News, "Reality check: Distracted walking isn’t a big problem. (Distracted driving is.)," Patrick Cain, accessed Aug. 15, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
contact us

Call Us For A No-Cost, Confidential Consultation

During a complimentary consultation, our lawyers can review your case, answer your questions and discuss your options. There's no obligation, and we work only on contingency — so you don't pay unless we recover compensation for you. Call 800-653-6513 or use our online form to request an appointment.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

The Law Society of Upper Canada

Lang Lawyers
3500 Dufferin Street Suite 400
Toronto, ON M3K 1N2

Toll Free: 800-653-6513
Fax: 416-398-1462
Toronto Law Office Map

OTLA Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
Back to top