Lang Lawyers
Free Consultation 800-653-6513
contact Menu

You can be reimbursed for expenses in a bicycling accident

It's true that as a cyclist, you aren't required to have any kind of insurance on your vehicle. If you're hurt because of getting into a car accident, both you and the driver are covered under Ontario's no-fault insurance system, which means that any damage to a vehicle or any losses in income can be claimed from the motorist's insurance, but only if the driver has it.

If your bicycle is damaged, for example, and the driver flees the scene, you might not be able to seek that no-fault insurance from the driver's policy. However, you might not be out of luck; you could be able to claim for the damage on your home insurance policy. If you have a car insurance policy, you might be able to claim your bicycle on that policy as well.

If you're not at fault in an accident, it's your choice to pursue a claim against the driver who caused the accident if he or she stays at the scene. The driver's insurance should then pay for damages and the cost of medical care or lost wages. If there is a hit-and-run crash, that's a different scenario.

You may be able to claim financial compensation through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claim Fund, though, which covers damage to vehicles up to $10,000 specifically. The MVACF also covers injury claims for those who can't seek compensation elsewhere, but the limit is $200,000. Our website has more information about what happens when you need to make a personal injury claim; with the right information, you can seek compensation from the correct source.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
contact us

Call Us For A No-Cost, Confidential Consultation

During a complimentary consultation, our lawyers can review your case, answer your questions and discuss your options. There's no obligation, and we work only on contingency — so you don't pay unless we recover compensation for you. Call 800-653-6513 or use our online form to request an appointment.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Society of Upper Canada

Lang Lawyers
3500 Dufferin Street Suite 400
Toronto, ON M3K 1N2

Toll Free: 800-653-6513
Fax: 416-398-1462
Toronto Law Office Map

OTLA Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
Back to top